Thursday, December 7, 2023

Berat - Gjirokaster 🇦🇱


https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net/uk-travel-2023


An early start today and so glad I caught a wonderful sunrise yesterday as today was very cloudy and rainy.  Ate my cute brekky and walked to the local bus stop and caught a bus to the bus station for my regional bus. 

I chose today's destination with some hesitancy as it is located further into the mountains and I'm prone to motion sickness.  Well, the route delivered with windy roads and the poor lady next to me was sick 3 times into her plastic bag she had wisely brought.  She apologised profusely each time and I just had my head half out the window getting as much fresh air as I could and patting her arm.  


After 2hrs we had a driver stop and everyone gets off the bus and manages at least 3 cigarettes and a coffee and a squat loo visit in the 15 - 20 mins stop 😂. I was just trying to breathe in some air and pray I could make the journey.  I amused myself watching a lady walk her turkeys beside the highway. I made it!  

Gjirokaster is the other UNESCO heritage listed city in Albania.  It is called the stone city as Ottoman Empire houses with unique layered stone roofs. I booked a hostel in the old town so I could mix with others.  Hilariously I'm it.  The only one in the whole building. The owner has given me the front door key.  






I enjoyed walking the cobbled streets to the castle. 







The largest in the Balkans and amazingly preserved. 








Earliest parts built 4th century.






Then visited the cold war tunnel


, historic homes and explored the gift shops as it is famous for its handicrafts. And lookout views to the setting sun shining on the mountains and a rainbow.



Bonus! Christmas lights were “turned on” tonight .with the street full.of locals watching their kids perform on stage and singing Christmas songs in Albanian, Santa having photos and then a band rocking out.  3 degrees in the mountains tonight 😂


Definitely worth the drive 😂




No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...