Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Berat 🇦🇱

I woke and wondered if it may be sunrise.  Opened the curtains and the timing was amazing. 


Beautiful pinks in the sky and a clear view of the mountain with fresh snow. 😊


I had wanted to go to either a canyon or waterfall that I had read about but couldn't easily work out how to get to either.  I asked my host and he said that in season there are daily shuttles to both (1hr away) but not now.  Later he offered to take me for the cost of fuel.  I deliberated and decided to take him up on the offer.  This morning he went to get his car, still under warranty, and he had an engine light showing.  He took it to the mechanics but they wanted to keep it all day.  Not to be.


Brekky for one in the family's dining room presented a little later as a result. 





I went for a hike to the hill I can see out of my window with views to the castle and old town, mountain peak and also past olive groves to farmland beyond.  

















On the way down I ripped my pants at the back revealing my bottom 😂. Not really what I want when my fair hair and blue eyes are attracting extra attention already! I managed to find a tailor and had to strip down behind an inadequate  curtain and stay there while he kindly sewed them up on the spot.  Was a funny moment.



It's quite cold and overcast today and rain late afternoon meant no chasing sunsets today.


I went to a beautifully decorated Albanian restaurant in the old town, but last night's warm friendly atmosphere was hard to beat.  Food was nice.  I ate inside with one other table occupied and the outside balcony table was full of smokers!  64% of Albanians smoke (I'm sure that's underestimating, gotta to be closer to 80%+).

Anyway, thanks Berat for a wonderful opportunity to ‘Live in a museum' which is the phrase the hotels in the old town use 😊














No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...