Monday, November 6, 2023

Brighton - Seaford 🇬🇧 55kms

https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net/uk-travel-2023

Today the sun was shining and the wind still a blowing.  I plotted a route for a cycle and cycled down to the Pier.. the ocean still rough but beautiful in the sun.





I had seen a sign saying the annual London to Brighton veteran car run would be on today.  I cycled to the finish line and waited a bit and then found out that most would still be hours away from arriving.  The finish barricades meant my route was diverted up to the roadside footpath.  Such a beautiful day to be out and the paths were full of people smiling into the sunshine and wind.


Before long I was able to take a path down to the seaside and discovered a path that ran alongside which chalky cliffs. 








These cliffs extended for much of the 25km stretch to Seaford.  They looked beautiful against the blue sky.  Lots of debris on the path made it slow going, but I had all day 😊. Pebbles and rocks had been washed onto the path from the giant waves, seaweed washed over the barricades, big chunks of chalk had blown off the cliffs and where it landed in puddles, turned to a white milky puddle to ride through. 
The path left the sea to go through Newhaven where you can catch ferries to France. 






 
I then continued as far as you can cycle or walk against the cliffs, past colourful bathing sheds.






When I turned my bike to come back, the tail wind I had been appreciating was now a firm 50km.per hr headwind 🤣 I had a number of times where I was nearly blown off my bike and at one stage had to get off and push as it was so strong!  All cyclists giving each other supportive looks.





By the time I had arrived back at the Brighton Pier, many veteran vehicles were arriving.  I watched the parade for a bit and the man next to me said he felt like he was watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!  Such a wonderful atmosphere with music playing, everyone rugged up and compares interviewing the drivers.
Great day out 😊






No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...