Thursday, November 16, 2023

Brighton - Hastings 🇬🇧 65kms


The sun was shining and so off I cycled I to the hills and then down to the coast and along to Hastings.  I found some amazing cycling infrastructure with cycle lanes for the first 30kms!










Lots of puddles and mud and slushy autumn leaves to negotiate.  I tried to avoid a deep puddle across a road by climbing a small but muddy ridge and slipped into the water.  Feet frozen for the rest of the day 😂





The ocean is such a browny grey colour and must be freezing.  No wonder there are changing huts as you would be only able to go in for a short time and then need to warm up!

Hastings, site of the Battle of Hastings in 1066 with the ruins of the first Norman Castle built in England by William the Conqueror at the time.








The old town area has its oldest Tudor style house built in 1400's and narrow winding pedestrian only streets with cute antique, boutique shops, ice cream, bakeries, cafes and pubs.










After exploring the streets, i took the old West Hill Cliff funicular railway that tunnels up through the mountain and delivers you just near the castle.  Castle seasonally shut and so I chose to climb up the rocks to catch a glimpse.  The views back down to Hastings with the setting sun, gorgeous.











A 1.5hr train ride home and a chilly 3kms ride from the railway station. 
Great day out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...