Saturday, October 7, 2023

Oxfordshire 🇬🇧

Doggy walking morning (5kms) and night (3.5kms) keeps me on my toes with two energetic Spaniels.












I went for a 55km ride today to some local villages.  




I stopped in Faringdon and went to the information centre.  I was wearing my Aussie flag jersey and the woman was so excited as I was the first Australian to come to the centre in her tiny town in the last 10yrs. 


Faringdon is an old Market town and some great historical stories.  It is well known for Lord Berners who was an eccentric Baron who was an artist and flamboyant entertainer.  He often hosted Salvador Dali and there is a statue of an underwater Diving suit.  





Lord Berners dared Dali to don the outfit and march from the Manor into town and if so, he would build a statue.
He famously liked colour and so got food due and painted the local doves and pigeons in colours of the rainbow. 
He built a Folly tower which is the last built in the UK.  





It is built for no other reason than for ornamental reasons.  He sounds like he would have been a real character to meet.









Treated myself to an Indian dinner tonight 😊



No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...