Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Cirencester - Gloucester - Cheltenham 🇬🇧 50kms

Well the autumn cold snap is in full swing! At 8.30 this morning it was 2 degrees, 'feels like' 0!!  I waited till nearly 11am to set off when it was 4 degrees 😳

In a short while I was in the beautiful countryside with cows and sheep pastures (often mixed in the one paddock), sooo many pheasants and grouse and squirrels. 







I saw badger roadkill 😥.  



This area is full of quaint little villages, beechwood forests with leaves turning for autumn and lots of hills!  

The route included country lanes, bridle ways, forest single track trails and cycle paths. I had to walk pushing my bike about 2kms over many steep climbs. 













 A very steep descent down towards Gloucester and I met a huge tractor pulling a harvester on its way uphill.  I was able to lean into the blackberry bushes so that he could pass.


Gloucester cathedral, built in AD679 is spectacular.  It's also the resting place of King Edward II.  The stained glass are some of the best I've seen on this trip. 












 Then I rode to see the old dockyards area where grain was sent off for export.



  Lots of canal boats and they have turned the area into funky restaurants and shops.  Then on to Cheltenham which is stylish with lovely gardens.  I was frozen to the core and so had to abandon sightseeing and sit in a coffee shop with a large hot chocolate and try to thaw. 






 
I'm staying at a 'Warm Shower' cycle host tonight.  Have had the best night sharing solo cycle touring adventure stories.  She has cycled South America, until COVID cut the trip short for her, plus a number of European trips. 
A fabulous day and another hilly day tomorrow as I head to the Cotswolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...