Monday, October 16, 2023

Watchfield to Cirencester 37kms 🇬🇧

A gorgeous clear sunny day, but it was tricking.  No warmth in the sun and a light breeze blowing.  I waited till it warmed up to 7 degrees and set off just before 11am.  



Farewells with the lovely home owners and the doggies knew something was up.  A wonderful experience.

Great to be bicycle touring again.  My mapping app took me on a scenic tour which, after a few days of rain meant some muddy tracks, beautiful tree Canopies, farmers fields, little villages and then I arrived into Cirencester.






  I'm at a BnB tonight, only a couple of streets from the centre of town.  The lovely owner allowed me to check in earlier, bike in the lounge room, gorgeous cat to pat.  




I have a cosy room with a view to the church in town.

A quick change of clothes and off I went to the visitor info centre for a map.  I followed the suggested 7.5km walking tour of Cirencester, an important Roman city and a mediaeval market town.  I walked past a Roman wall, 






the stunning St John Baptist church, built from donations from the profitable wool industry and one of the largest churches in England and over 1000yrs old.  







The Yew hedge, planted in 1720 and said to be the highest hedge in Europe!










 
So much history 😊







I went out for dinner tonight to a funky restaurant and enjoyed an Indian cauliflower curry ✅

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...