Monday, September 18, 2023

Vienna day 3 🇦🇹

I had a lazy morning, patting cats and planning my day.

I caught the tram to the city centre and walked to the meet point for the 11am free walking tour.  Mirko was an extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide.  






Vienna has so many beautiful buildings and parklands and was fortunate, unlike many of the German towns I've visited, to have very little damage from the 2nd world war.
The tour passed by the offices of the Prime minister 



and President, 



the Volksgarden (People's garden).  There is a beautiful rose garden and you can pay 350 euro to dedicate a rose to someone special, place a plaque with wording of your choice for 5 years and the funds pay for the maintenance of the gardens.  There is a waiting list..





Mozart statue




We finished at St Stephen's cathedral, the 2nd highest behind Ulm which I visited a few weeks ago.  I looked inside the very busy cathedral.





All shops closed on Sundays and half the museums and so cafes and anything open were full of tourists.

Back home for a couple of hours and then put my op shop dress on again and cycled to try my luck for last minute discount seats for a musical. After a full day of walking I didn't feel like standing seats and asked if she had any discounted seats.  She said she could discount a limited viewing seat.  When I got to my seat there was a pole slightly obstructing but not too bad.  



Next to the 95 euro seat section.  Well, the show started and the two seats next to me were vacant.  I slid over - winning!
Orpheus an der Underwalt performed in German.  Couldn't understand fully what was happening but the costumes, sets, acting and singing were fabulous and it was a lively comedy and the audience laughing and clapping created the atmosphere.




Back home, in bed, cats settling in for the night 😊. (how will I go back to tent life 😂).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...