Sunday, September 17, 2023

Vienna Day 2 🇦🇹

 Vienna - such beauty everywhere you look!

This morning I checked out of my hostel and cycled to my house sit to meet the owner and her two beautiful cats.  One made friends straight away and loves my bike, the other rescue cat is very timid.



I unpacked and settled in and made my plan for the day.  The housesit lady told me about a fabulous public transport app and so I decided to leave my bike and use the trams.

Today was inspired by Matty and Bronte who visited Vienna earlier this year.

First stop - the Saturday Naschmarket.  A bustling market with food stalls, vendors calling out, restaurants, fruit and vege and then a huge secondhand market.  






My antiques Roadshow ''watching experience's made me.sure I was walking past some undiscovered heirlooms.  Second hand clothing bargains but I have no room on the bike.  I was tempted with some 2-3 euro bargains.  I bought some veges to cook for dinner and had a kebab from a friendly man with a brother in Woolongong.  




Then on to the incredible Museum of Vienna housing the most varied and extravagant collection, mostly from the Habsburgs family.  The museum itself is a spectacular building, marble and huge staircases with statues and painted ceilings.  





One whole wing is dedicated to gold, there are paintings, Egyptian and Grecian artifacts.  It's mind blowing to think one family could have so much wealth.











I headed back to the tram and 'home'. 





 Put on a load of washing and then cut up and cooked a huge tray of roast veges and salmon for dinner.  First time I've used an oven in 3 months.  I had a rest while dinner was cooking and then out to a concert.




The most wonderful intimate concert for about 80 people in a stunning venue, with huge chandeliers.  The 6 piece group played exquisitely.  The lead violinist was an entertaining woman and both she and pianist did not use music and played flawlessly.  Then to my surprise two opera singers joined for a few pieces.







To hear Mozart, Strauss and Vivaldi music being played and sung in such close quarters brought tears to my eyes.

Another wonderful day and I'm in a comfortable bed in a lovely apartment with two cats sleeping beside me.  Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...