Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Grein to Melk 🇦🇹 50kms

I headed off this morning and had a choice of crossing the river on a little ferry or staying on the same side.  I decided to stay as there was a big line up of cyclists from a cruise ship.

A few KMs down the road I could see them riding on what looked like a.cycle path with no traffic and I had a lane most of the time with trucks whizzing past.  Cliffs to the road edge and then river beside the road and so not much land to play with.




About 15kms along the way, a cycle lane formed and I cruised along till a bridge where i cycled up a huge circular ramp and completed my ride on the southern bank.


Austrian telephone boxes

Cycle path signs giving a heads up when the next bridges will be




Its a challenge buying groceries in other languages at times and I'm very reliant on the pictures to tell the story.  I had an epic fail with my tuna today (gagging just thinking about it).  Was a fish puree 🤮🤮
I had a small taste but couldn't do it 😂




After setting up my tent, I cycled into Melk. 


 Coming around the corner I was greeted by the Abbey on the hill.  It was obstructed from my camp ground and I had no idea it would be so large.






Austrian ovens.  Used for cooking and heating





The library 

The.ornate chapel


  I spent 1.5hrs viewing the buildings and gardens.  An incredibly ornate series of buildings and amazing views across the Danube to the hills.


The garden house












A quick stop for groceries and back to make dinner and then a sunset walk along the cruise ship docklands area at sunset. 
A lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...