Thursday, September 14, 2023

Day 44 Melk to Krems 🇦🇹. 40kms

Cruising through Austria.  Well, that's what many people do on the Danube, and today I saw a number of boats.  What's great to see is that most of the boats have a fleet of matchy matchy bicycles and the 'cruisers' are out enjoying the countryside.




Today was again full of complex 'Rad' (cycle) route info signs.  



I studied one and decided on catching a ferry, as per the sign, to the other bank to visit a village but when I got there, it was seasonally closed 😂.  I gazed at the villages, grass is greener over there style, as I cycled along. 





 
The Wacha valley is famous for its vineyards and apricot (schnapps) orchards.  I cycled through these for most of the day as well as apples and pears, trees laden with fruit. 





A wine bottle vending machine outside of a winery only open weekends for tastings




 
I arrived into Krems, a university town, and headed straight to the campground as the forecast thunderstorm clouds were looking menacing.  I was able to set up my tent and camp gear and then headed back to town to look at the church and an art gallery, and a gelati before getting my groceries.










While in Aldi, the lightning and rain started. A group of cyclists all waited about 20 mins for it to settle and then I rode back to camp, arriving just before the next burst.


6 tents tonight and fortunately this campground has a large covered area and a common room which is where I'm hanging out. 
I have treated myself to the onsite restaurant's goulash soup and bread roll, and a glass of local wine - 6 euro for the lot ($11) - a bargain.  




The storms keep returning and I'm hoping all is dry inside the tent, but it's a big ask considering the volume of the rain 🙄
I have definitely been blessed with great weather.
In two days I'll cycle into Vienna where I have arranged a house/cat sit for 4 days, giving me a chance to have a good look around 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...