Sunday, September 10, 2023

Day 40 Passau 🇩🇪 to Aschach an der Donau 🇦🇹 - 60kms

After a quick trip to the grocery store and about 45 mins to unpack and repack my bike bags,, I'm back on my touring bike and continuing my tour of Europe on the Eurovelo 6 route.




It took a couple of hours of riding to start to get used to a loaded bike again.  I had definitely forgotten how heavy it was! 

The scenery today has been stunning.  29 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.  I cycled along the north bank of the Donau (Danube) for the first 20 KMs and then crossed to the Austrian side via a ferry.







  Today there were about 5 ferries for bikes to cross the river.  Lots of cyclists and cycle groups out today.


A large lock for commercial boats to travel upstream

I had lunch in the grounds of a beautiful church (always get free drinking water from churches) and a friendly cat smelled my tuna and came and sat with me.  I shared with her and she was rubbing round my legs 😊.









 The church had 4 creepy ornately dressed skeletons in glass display boxes!



This section of the river has steep wooded cliffs dripping down to the waters edge.  The road is almost dedicated to cyclists with only vehicles for fishermen allowed.









My campsite today overlooks the river with a castle on top of the cliffs and occassional huge Danube River cruise ships going past.  There are only two of us camping and the other is a German solo traveller called Carola, the same age and heading in the same direction tomorrow 😊









A bit muscle sore tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...