Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Passau πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ to Bratislava πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡° by train

Today was one of those logistics days that give you a sense of achievement when you pull it off 🀣

✅Packed up camp this morning Passau Germany

Campground has a bakery truck that visits each morning


✅Cycled to the bike shop where I had arranged to leave my bike for a week
✅Walked to the train station
✅Couldn't get the online train ticket code to print my ticket at the machine so queued up to find that even though it says to print your ticket, the fact that it has a QR code in the PDF means you don't print it 😳. 5 mins spare to run to platform



 
✅Train was air-conditioned and had PowerPoints and wifi - winning



✅ smooth platform change at Vienna train station
✅ arrival at Bratislava train station (35 degrees)and try not to panic at the consenant rich signage 🀣
✅ found the luggage storage section (2.5 euros for the day!) - thanks google forum




✅ follow google maps 2.5kms to the start of the free walking tour with 15 mins to spare
✅ brilliant 2.5hr walking tour with excellent guide

Our fabulous tour guide


Church taken from the holocaust memorial.  The Jewish quarter was located just outside the city walls

Bratislava castle gates

View across the new bridge to the council housing estates

The castle

Castle gardens



City gate


✅ follow guides recommendation for a local Slovakian tasting plate for dinner

Sheep cheese dumplings served 3 different ways with fried onions.  


✅ find way back to train station (still 35 degrees!) To collect bag
✅ ask information counter where I buy a bus ticket to the airport - she said "I don't know".  I said I was happy to wait while she found out.  She turned to colleague and then back to me and said I could buy from her 🀣. 1.1 euro bargain ticket from Ms unfriendly and out I went to the bus stop
✅ 5 min wait for bus, got on and the validating machine wouldn't accept my ticket.  I asked a nice girl for her thoughts and she said some of the busses have new machines that are different size and she shoves it in till it clicked
✅ chatted with said girl all the way to the airport.
✅ walked 400m to my hotel by 8.30pm (as have an early flight in the morn)
✅ hotel is air conditioned and soundproof.

Thankful for a smooth day and would recommend Bratislava as a stop over.

https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net

Phew!  Will sleep well πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...