Monday, August 14, 2023

Day 33 Sigmaringen to Mungerkingen 60kms

 I woke to, what has become usual, a  morning shower.  I waited it out and packed my wet tent.  Nice chats with fellow cyclists comparing riding routes today.  Said another farewell to the Spanish family.


https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net


First on my list was to visit the Schloss (castle) in Sigmaringen and so I was there at opening.  It's such an impressive building to see from afar and beautifully maintained.  The current heir was born 1987 and hosts regular concerts and events in the ballroom.





The castle is beautifully maintained and a great audio tour.






The display of guns, swords, bayonets, suits of armour etc is pretty impressive.  And then a trophy room 😳. With antlers with name and date of hunter.




The Danube valley is becoming wider and so today I rode through a lot of farmland with corn and wheat farms.







The weather was unstable and so showers would come through and then hot sun steaming up off the path.  I could feel a storm approaching from behind and came around a corner to a cliff like hill to push my bike up.  I was about halfway up and had just tried to take a perspective shot when it started coming down, I tried to run pushing my bike as I could see a small village at the top, as I turned the corner the hail started and I ducked under cover with other cyclists.  



The rain was torrential, mixed with hail.  One of the sheltering cyclists had backpacked in Australia for a year in his youth and so we had a nice chat.


Off I went again and had identified a campground at the 60km mark.  



I went through another storm and managed to shelter against a building and then just made it to the campground to find I hadn't researched properly and it was just a parking place for motorhomes with no amenities 🙄 as I rode off the hail started again and I sheltered in a children's fort in a playground.  I was done by then and looked up and found one hotel only in town with a cute bird theme.  I rode up the hill and he had one room left.  Sold!

My hotel 😊



A great day but weather made it interesting at times.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballycastle - Maddypenny 🍀 37kms 🚴‍♀️ 10kms 🚶‍♀️

After rain overnight, I woke to sunny skies and views from the campsite to the cliffs at Rathlin island that I visited yesterday, and beyon...