Saturday, August 12, 2023

Day 31 Reichenau (lake Constance) to Tuttlingen 56kms (including ferry to Radolfzell)

Germany all day today.

https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net

I said farewell to the beautiful lake, boarded my ferry to the other side of the lake to start my journey North today. I followed the route and to be honest, it was a brutal day of riding. I climbed for over 40kms of my day today, going through forests where I had a cliff on one side and a drop in the other, no shoulder to cycle (or stop) in and a fairly busy road with luxury convertibles or farm tractors 🤣








Lots of road cyclists powering it up the climbs and I only saw one other human powered cycle touring bike. 99% of people on ebikes, whizzing past me! I didn't get the memo! Sections up to 15% and so had to hike-a-bike for those sections. I took a few wrong turns too and each of them had involved a downhill so had to power back up again! Ran out of water at the 40km.mark but helped myself to a farm tap at 48kms.







Once out of the forest and into the (still.steep) farmland, the views back down to the lake and across to the Swiss Alps were breathtaking. Signs to ski huts and telecommunications tower confirmed the elevation.





I had a fun 2km downhill to Tuttlingen where I had read there was a free campground (the only campground and I just didn't have another 5km.in my legs and so 🙏 it would be ok.

Well, it's a little gem of a place. In a huge park with sporting fields and gardens and tucked behind a hedge. The swimming complex hires out a key to the specific amenities block. About a dozen tents and all bicycle touring friends. Have made friends with a lovely Spanish family from Barcelona who.have invited me to stay and they will show me their area. Tudia and I went grocery shopping together and it's been such a lovely finish to my day. Feeling so much better after hydration and food. Phew!




1 comment:

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...