Thursday, August 10, 2023

Day 29 - Busingen to Reichenau - 55kms


https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net

A wonderful day!  Woke up misty rain beside the river.  Waited it out having a slow brekky near a fire.  Packed up a wet tent and headed off for the day.


Meandering hilly paths alongside the river, through farmland and vineyards to the most gorgeous mediaeval town of Stein am Rhein.  


Entry through the walled and gated entrance to find exquisitely painted houses built in the 1300's.


The town was bustling with tourists, many on bikes and many who had come along the Rhine on a cruise.


Had currywurst for lunch and couldn't decide between an apricot strudel cake or a cherry something or other.  Both scrumptious!


It was another day of swapping between Swiss and German territory.  Crossed the river and border and before long was on the banks of Bodensee heading to Konstanz.  Cycling for 15kms along the lake with many other cyclists.


I had seen a campsite listed on an island in the middle of the lake and a very helpful jogger gave great directions on how to get there.  A stop at Lidl to get some groceries and the couple in front said I could go ahead of them.  I thanks them and gave the lady's arm a loving squeeze.  She then wrapped her arms around me for a lovely hug.  How beautiful.


Came outside and was packing my food into my bike bags and the couple came out and their bikes were parked next to mine!  She hugged me again and I told her that she had made my day.  I said I was heading to the campsite on the island and she said they lived there and to follow them.  She then gave us a 10km.guided your of the island!  Beautiful Lutzia and Roland ❤️. She showed me the beautiful flower fields and insisted on taking my photo.


Then to the church where they were married, past her favourite trees and friend's gardens and all the organic vegetable shops that I could shop from.  She then delivered us to the campground and there were hugs and more hugs as we farewelled.  A special encounter with a warm and lovely couple.


Set up my tent (to dry out) and then took my cooking gear down to the beach and made dinner watching the lake and then the amazing sunset






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...