Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Day 28 Bad Sackingen to Schaffhausen 80kms

 https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net


Wonderful day of riding.. I woke after a really cold night.  6 degrees only and apparently a big snowfall near Lucerne just 160kms away so that explained it.  I was wearing most of my non cycling clothes in the tent and had a cold nose 😂


Riding today again crossing between Swiss and Germany wish some.obvious border crossings and some just a sign.


Lush fields of corn and sunflowers and lots of apple and pear orchards, free range chickens and then after some hills, vineyards.


Some gravel forest paths, and a beautiful 5km stretch beside the Rhine edge.


Some stunning architecture in small towns along the way.


Filled my water bottle at a beautiful spring/water refill spot.


Then to visit Rheinfalls.  The campsites today were awkwardly spaced out and so knew it would be a long day of riding but wanted to see the falls.


The volume of water incredible and apparently the levels are up due to some recent heavy rains upstream.  I took the touristy boat ride option which got incredibly close to the falls.  Not a safety vest or briefing 😂 


Then the second ticket took me over to the stop below the castle and I walked the million steps to the top to see the castle and then down to the viewing platforms.  It was incredible to be so close to that volume of water!


Lots of tourists and, with my Australian jersey on had some friendly chats with a range of people who had visited Australia.





Had to push my loaded bike up the huge hill from the boat docks and then ride to the Kanu club campground, arriving about 8ish.  Tent set up with a Rhine view.


Friendly other campers chatting around the campfire 😊

4 comments:

  1. A million steps! Are you sure you aren’t exaggerating just a little? 😛

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dounds like another fab day, Tiff ♥️ Keep the tales coming. Deb G x

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...