Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Day 27 Basel to Bad Sackingen 53kms

 The cycling journey on Eurovelo 6 continues and I've decided to keep the number of days I cycle this route continuous (even though I had an additional 8 days in Switzerland).


https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net


I fed the lambs with Nala for the last time.  Little cuties come running now and the one not being feed bunts and nibbles at my hand.  So cute.   Down the hill I rode and into the village to catch a train to Bern and then on to Basel.  I had a booked seat in the carriage for bikes, wheelchairs and prams and yet there were steep stairs up into the train 🙄. Bags removed, lug the bike up into the train and hook it up, back down to the platform to retrieve the bags.  A family with an pram also having difficulty. Crazy.


I find it a bit nerve wracking getting from the centre of a big city out to the cycle path, but, after a few wrong turns, happy days to see the signs.  The path from Basel went over a commercial size lock and a container ship was going through.


Today was fun as I swapped over my riding between the German and Swiss sides of the Rhine.  I rode on the German side through to Rheinfelden and found a disappointing plan, 60's apartment buildings town.  I rode around trying to find the usual old town but nothing!  Got my touring brain into gear and found the tourism office.  Lovely friendly staff as usual.  She let me know that the German side of town was less than 100yrs old but the Swiss side has a beautiful old town.  I rode out of town and over the Rhine to a picturesque painted house style walled city.  


I followed her map and cycled the suggested route past the beautiful buildings.  As seems to be usual for these parts, Monday is a ghost town as the shops shut.  It makes it easier to ride through town through! 

 

I decided to follow the Swiss side of the Rhine and found myself on gravel roads for about 25kms through forests.  Lots of people out hiking.  Some rain showers kept passing through and the forest helped to shield me.


At one stage it was coming down harder so I pushed into the forest a little to shelter and found it was in a blackberry bush, filled with ripe berries.  Winning!


I arrived at Bad Sackingen and rode through the 200m, oldest covered bridge in Europe.  400yrs old and solid timber.  

Then through the cobbled old.town to see the square, church and home of a local famous poet.    


Grocery shopping at German prices (at least half the price of Swiss) and then 5kms to my chosen campsite.  I decided to try the Kanu (canoe) club tonight.  Germany has them all along the Rhine and they earn a little cash from passing cyclists.  Clean amenities, clothesline, free lockers with power points in then and a tent spot with Rhine views, all for 9 euro.  


Beautiful sunset tonight, and clear skies have brought a cold snap - I'm in my tent with a few layers of clothes on!  


I've enjoyed getting back into my riding rhythm.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a lovely first day back in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...