Saturday, July 29, 2023

My French EV6 experience writeup

Cycling across France on the Eurovelo 6 Route - my experience


STATS

1402kms cycled

25 days

6 nights in hotel/Airbnb/warm showers

19 nights Camping

Incidents of road rage experienced or witnessed - zero

Road kill - red squirrel, mouse, fox, pigeon


My experience cycling through France on Eurovelo Route 6 has been outstanding.


EUROVELO 6 Route:


The route itself has been thoughtfully put together, including small  diversions to see stunning views, beautiful buildings, past regular campgrounds, small shops, with cafes right on the path, managing to avoid big hills, past tourism offices in major towns.  I said to myself regularly to trust the signs! 


The signage is on almost every junction with only a handful missing which comes as a surprise.  I have ridden most of it without GPS. Dedicated cycle roads, divided paths, cycle bridges etc.  I studied the route before setting off but the signs guided me throughout the day.


Many family groups - a family with an 8 week old baby off on an adventure, many generational groups with grandparents in their 70's+ on evokes, parents and children/teens, all travelling AMD camping together.  Ebike riders, those having their luggage transported, credit card packers (staying in hotels or Airbnb) as well as camping tourers with 4 paniers.


CAMPGROUNDS:  


The Municipal campgrounds are great.  Friendly and helpful reception, generally pick your own spot to set up tent, clean 'Sanitary' blocks with separate areas for showering (with courtesy squeegie so the next person doesn't slip), separate private sinks for teeth brushing, separate toilet section (toilet seats and toilet paper provided 50% of the time), separate sinks for washing up, potable water taps, clothes washing sinks.  All clearly signed and labelled.  Many campgrounds had swimming pools, volleyball nets.  Many also have a reasonably priced cafe and bar, with music playing.  

I payed between 9-12 Euro a night ($15+).


THE FRENCH PEOPLE:


I have encountered kind, helpful friendly people.


Everyone says Bonjour when passing either walking or cycling past.


Road cyclists have deep respect for bicycle tourists and hold open gates, move over to allow to pass, always greet and acknowledge.


French children that I saw were exceptionally well behaved, active, slim, healthy eating and independent and trusted to ride a bike at 4yrs of age on roads, paths with a drop to a river or canal without helicopter parents.  They carry their own little panier bags strapped to their bikes and set up and pack up their own sleeping bags, clothes and any toys brought with them.  In saying that, they just seemed to play with a ball or ride their bikes at the campsite.  No answering back, ate what they were given, did the family washing up, appeared interested at cultural sites - I only saw one pair of siblings fighting in over 3 weeks.  The children always gave eye contact and said Bonjour.  I was very impressed.


I have had people walk me, with my map to point out where to go when we had no common language.  Finding a place for me in a full campsite. One man walked about a km with me to make sure I was on the right path.  Kind man helping me put my tyre back on and then driving me to a campsite, market stall holders throwing in an extra price of fruit to my bag, charging my phone in their caravans, sharing food, riding and chatting and including a solo traveller.  Smiling, laughing, trying to speak English.


The countryside on this route is varied and worth seeing.  The UNESCO Heritage region to the West has Chateau's and buildings to see every few kms. The eastern part is more farmland and quaint villages.  All this along shipping canals or rivers.  


There are pigeons everywhere

Most small villages have a church and the door is always opened to peek inside

The food is reasonably priced and a good serve but not over filled plates







1 comment:

  1. A great adventure across France, Tiff. Thanks for sharing. We watched France beat Brasil at the Women's Football World Cup last night. Very enthusiastic crowd. Looking forward to Swiss tales. Deb x

    ReplyDelete

Skjope 🇲🇰. 14kms 🚶‍♀️

The show must go on 😂 Electrical storms across the Balkans means that there were a series of rolling delays to aircraft arriving into many ...