Sunday, July 30, 2023

Day 26 Basel to Emmental

I woke this morning in the peaceful hostel and went downstairs for the buffet breakfast that is included in the cost of the room ($112 a night for 4 share!).  Had my fill and made a sandwich "to go" and packed my gear.  The hostel let me leave my bike and gear in lockup while I went to visit some sights and museums.

I went to one of the ancient city gates before walking to the Kunstmuseum - the art gallery housing a range of collections from the 15th century, religious themes, Van Gough, Cezanne, Degas.  Then to the modern art museum via an underground tunnel.












I then spent some time at the park, lying on a bench looking up through the Northern hemisphere tree canopy.

Back to the hotel to change into my riding kit before riding to the train station to catch a train to Emmental where I will stay for a week helping a Sculptor on his farm in exchange for accommodation and food.  Buying a train ticket with 2 train changes, including booking day passes for bikes etc was challenging as my card wouldn't work on the Swiss rail app due to 2 FA reasons.  The ticketing staff made the booking instead and off I went.  The train travelled through numerous tunnels and 1.5hrs later I was standing on a platform in a village with my bike, in the rain with 6kms to ride to my destination.






The roads wound through villages with chocolate box houses, green grass.  I found my way to the last road which went straight up through forest.  I tried to ride but it was too steep.  I pushed up the narrow road and could hear cow bells in the distance.  Turned out it was sheep bells! For sheep perched in a steep paddock. The road kept climbing higher and then I recognised what must be their house by the wooden sculptures in the garden.

A beautiful traditional old farm house, and I have a spacious room in a converted section of the barn with amazing views.  I will explore tomorrow when it's fine.




Tonight I fed two lambs whose mother died in childbirth.  This will be one of my jobs.  He has a group of south African artists coming to view his work tomorrow and so I will be involved in preparing an exhibition around the farm, and cooking.  Should be an interesting week.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Congratulations on getting there (the trip back down the hill will be an interesting tale!). I think you’re in for quite a week by the sounds of it. 😄

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...