Saturday, July 29, 2023

Day 25 Mulhouse France - Basel Switzerland 40kms

 Today I said Au Revoir to France and Gruezi to Switzerland





https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net


I had my last French brekky of a chocolate croissant and a baguette ordered through the campground.  Such a great service and this campground had a shared dining area.  As I ate, tot delight I heard my name and the gorgeous French couple Madeleine and hubby had also stayed at the campground and collected their brekky too.  They were off to the car museum before Basel as they had spent the day with her grandmother.  It was nice to depart being waved goodbye to 😊


Today's route past through mainly open fields along canals and eventually the Rhine.







Before I knew it, I was in Switzerland!  The cycle path came through the Industrial shipping yards and eventually crossed the Swiss flag covered bridge with tourists aplenty.





I found my way to the Youth hostel (no campgrounds) which is right at St Albans the site of the monetary.  Magnificent buildings and the hostel is in a renovated building and super modern inside.  Fabulous secure bicycle storage (down stairs 🙄) and a clothes line for cycle clothes too.  I was too early to go to my room so did a quick change and off out to explore.


The hostel gave me walking maps.  Within a few minutes I was walking past the Kunstmuseum which I'll probably visit in the morning and then winding through the old town to the Munster (Cathedral) built in 1091.  I loved walking through the surrounding buildings were there was a wedding couple having their photos, and then inside.  








The detail in the stained glass is so beautiful.  






Then downstairs to the crypt and an lower area where they have done some excavation.

A beautiful view of the Rhine from the Terrace.



Then a wander through busy shopping streets of the old town with only pedestrians, cyclists and trams.  This is a cycle city with so many styles of bikes being ridden and bike parking areas packed with bikes 

Had a beautiful hot chocolate



Then to the Rathaus with stunning artwork on the buildings.







I wandered across the Swiss flag covered bridge on foot with great views back to the Cathedral.


After exploring, spitting rain meant I headed back towards the river and had noticed a cute ferry service and so went to the river walkway.  There are sections of the Rhine that you are allowed to swim in and the 'thing to do' is to have a floatation device and let the current take you along!  






As I walked the gangplank to the ferry I saw Madeleine and her hubby riding the cycle path above ..  It was late and I'm wondering if they are staying here tonight.


An artist was entertaining near the museum and so I sat and enjoyed his music before heading to the hostel.


A 4 bed room with 3 other mature aged women.  One Canadian who had worked at the Canadian pavilion at Expo in Brisbane! And has just hiked the Mont Blanc hike.   Sad to leave France but ready to embrace Switzerland 😊


2 comments:

  1. It does seem sad to leave France but Switzerland is looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll miss France too! Can’t wait to see your adventures in Switzerland Tiffany.

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...