Friday, July 28, 2023

Day 24 - Montpeliard to Mulhouse 65kms

 Map update - https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net

 I woke this morning in my comfy Airbnb, opened the windows and my two pigeon friends were there to greet me❤️



The location was so good and after a cruisy start, after only a few mins I was on the cycleway and headed to Mulhouse.

A handful of villages today and a park for cyclists with picnic tables and cycle tools and pump.  These are regularly available along the route.  I had my morning tea at the park, 20kms away.




To my delight and surprise, the next 30kms has a slight gradient downhill!  It was overcast and breezy and no rain, looks like the blue skies are back.



My time in France is coming to an end and so I stopped at a cute cyclepath facing French alfresco cafe for lunch.  It was a lovely cafe with other cyclists and people who had parked in the small village.  I went for the lunch special of the day and enjoyed a long lunch of beautiful French food for 15 euro.  Each dish full of flavour 😊






Back on the bike to cruise into Mulhouse and follow the signs to the Tourism office.  I wanted to visit the car museum and as usual they were extremely helpful, marking on the map the direction to go.  The lovely girl proactively offered to look after my pannier bags as she was concerned there wasn't a safe space at the venue.  Off I went on my much lighter bike.


What a quality museum, pristine and professional.  The collection of cars outstanding and I wandered around and read some of the stories.  What I liked was that each vehicle had a sign detailing it's ownership prior to the museum acquiring it. 









Some vehicles previously owned by Prime Minister's,.Royalty, and celebratory figures as well as names of wealthy families.  Whilst not necessarily a car lover, I found the quality of the museum and the presentation of the cars flawless. I think I would have loved riding in cars from the early 1900's.


They had a section for racing cars and also cars that have been prominent in movies.


I then cycled my way around some of the historic sights of town before heading to the campsite.  This campsite has the best facilities of any I have visited and, instead of loitering in the toilets to charge my phone, I'm sitting in a large common room dining area with charging plugs all along the walls.  Feels quite civilised 😂










3 comments:

  1. I’m pleased to hear the weather has improved. I hope the pigeons have their passports ready for the border crossing. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here’s to pigeon friends, downhills, lighter bikes, long French lunches and no more toilet lurking 😊. Another fab day my friend. We are off to ride from Nerang to Binna Burra tomorrow (well, lower Beechmont to Binna Burra for me). Don’t forget to send me your shopping list and I’ll sort it and distribute to the travellers.

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...