Thursday, July 27, 2023

Day 23 L'Isle-Sur-le-Doubs to Montpeliard 40kms


Travel map link - https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net

I set off this morning after packing up a wet tent.  More storm clouds and rainy forecasts so decided on a shorter day and booked an Airbnb.


The ride along the river was busy with lots out enjoying a ride or cycle touring.  Quaint little towns along the river.  More pure white swans today.






I had arranged an early check-in to be able to unload bags off the bike for ease of touring.  I had ridden through light showers but the storm literally hit just as I arrived at the bnb - blessed!  I entered the passcode and there was a spot inside for my bike!  The Loft apartment on the top (5th)  floor of the most uneven ancient stairs and landing.  Cute, super clean apartment right in the heart of the city for 50Euro, so happy with that.

I waited out the storm for an hour and ventured to the tourism office.  The staff are always exceptional with their service.  I asked for the top few things to see with just an afternoon and a bike to get me around.  First stop to the Chateau, across the road from the tourism office.






As usual a steep road to cycle to the top and great views and pretty gardens.  The Chateau was housing a fine arts exhibition on the work of French artist Paul-Elie Dubios.


I was very impressed with his work and over the years he showed such versitility, sketching, painting portraits, scenes, creating painted dioramas and then when he travelled to places such as Morocco, this influenced his work.  


The top level housed a private archaeology collection.










Off to my next stop being the Peugeot museum.  


I found this fascinating as I was quite ignorant as to the impact this entrepreneurial family have had across a wide range of fields where I had only known them for cars.


The collection of cars is impressive and well displayed.  



The family also have produced items such as sewing machines, the first commercial coffee grinders, a foundry producing metal for bullets, weaponry such as swords, hammers, lightweight metal skirt shapers for women's dresses, appliances, furniture.






They also created a Pope mobile in the 80's
When I came out of the museum the sun was out!  I headed off to try another mobile phone accessory store as I have not yet been able to buy a protector case for my phone, which is making me quite nervous as I don't want to break it.  Still no success (3 shops tried today).  Off then to Parc Pres-la-Rose, a beautiful garden space with sculptures, fountains, playground equipment, places to relax on deck chairs - lovely to see so many out walking and enjoying the park.





A visit to the grocery store as I really wanted to cook a meal tonight. I enjoy cooking and so took advantage of having an oven and stove. Chicken, quinoa, roast carrots and salad 😊



I have cycled 1531kms so far in beautiful France! Now just relaxing in the apartment listening to an ebook 😊

1 comment:

  1. Dinner sounds lovely. I hope everything has dried out. Gosh those stairs would have some tales to tell! A much warmer night ahead I’m sure!

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...