Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Day 22 Besancon to L'Isle -de-doubs 75kms

 After an early morning storm delayed start of play today, I said farewell to Becanson and passed under the walls of the Citadel on my way north east, following the river Doubs.




The river is wide and deep and I saw a badger having a roll around in the water.  White swans a plenty too.


The path today crossed over the river a few times via roads or cycle bridges.  Soaring forested cliffs either side of the river with little cottages nestled in.


Flowers flanked the path and I was able to have several blackberry snacks today.



I pulled into a town today known for its beautiful centre.  I followed the signs for the Tourisme office but I cycled back and forth and couldn't find it, and the town was unremarkable.  There was a steep hill leading to a higher part of the village that possibly was the pretty part, but I abandoned the search and headed back to the river to eat my baguette.

I got up from lunch to start riding and had not seen a huge storm approaching from behind.  The thunder and lightning started and fortunately I could see a large supermarket down the road.  I arrived along with about a dozen other cycle tourists as the storm hit.  We did our shopping and chatted sharing cycle travel stories.  A lovely Belgium couple who cycle but stay in hotels and a group of 4 French lads who were riding to Lyon via various relatives free accom.



Back on the bike and the sun came.out for about 20 mins.  The reflections on the river were so clear.  







The last 30-40 KMs it rained and stormed.  I love riding in the rain and the safe cycle paths and magnificent trees surrounds made it even better.  Each time storms hit I sought shelter and it was so much fun trying to find places to shelter with other cyclists all helping each other to stay dry, sharing food and stories 


I rode and sheltered in someone's open garage with a lovely French couple on day 5 on their cycle to Sydney to visit his sister via Europe, China, Vietnam over 6 months.  They cycled off hand in hand ,❤️




I was tossing up where to stay tonight as the campgrounds are few and far between in the east of France.  I pushed on to this little town and a huge storm hit as I approached and a Swiss couple called me to shelter in a rotunda with them.  Nice chats and food sharing again.


Arrived and was able to set up my tent and have a hot shower and gather my dinner making gear and set up to cook my ton of chilli con carne and rice at the toilet block.  Before I knew it, others were joining me as this was the only shelter other than our tents.  A great night with rich conversation with interesting people from France, Luxembourg and Germany, sharing food.  A lovely man appeared from his motorhome and offered everyone hot tea or coffee and came and joined in the chat.





I'm lying in my tent with the rain pouring down, wearing most of my clothing but still pretty cold.  Will hopefully warm up.


A cracker of a day - the united feeling amongst the community of distance cyclists who had battled storms and rain together topped off a great day 😊


Here's my travel map updated - https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite a day! Hope you were able to warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was great to hear of your fabulous day. The world is filled with fine people for you to share valuable time with along your journey.
    Love from us
    A June and U Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. That's the pearl when travelling. One man worked for the European Union on a project mapping properties and pipework for water in Burkinofaso. There currently are no town planning maps and so they can't apply for aide to build dams etc as they don't know how many homes use the existing water supply. Fascinating.

      Delete
  3. What a bloody amazing day Tiff. Highlight for me …. the badger of course. I can just imagine you warm and dry with a full heart in your little tent. Oh I also really liked your pic of the reflections on the water. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved the badger. I had seen a sign saying there were badgers and had been on the alert for a few days 😊

      Delete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...