Thursday, July 4, 2024

Belfast to Carnfunnock Country Park 🍀 45kms 🚴‍♀️

My bike tour of Northern Ireland begins!


I packed up this morning at Sam, my warm showers host's apartment, and found that he had made up a batch of pesto pasta so that I would have a good start to my day. Delicious! He then showed me a big bunch of rhubarb his friend had grown and dropped over and asked if I had suggestions on what to do with it. I rattled off all sorts of options and then asked if he had a few ingredients and made him a rhubarb and apple crumble 😊


Sam, who had worked as a bike mechanic for a few years, adjusted my bike brakes.  

We had a morning tea of crumble which allowed the rain to stop, and then I was on my way.

It didn't take long before I was on a bicycle path that follows the ocean and I looked over a few times and imagined how grand the Titanic would have looked sailing past the shore.  




Carrickfergus is a town steeped in history with a historic harbour where King William III landed in 1690 for the Battle of Boyne.


There is a castle on the waterfront too and a cute seaside town. I crossed the road to explore the town and from nowhere a huge downpour of rain sent people scuttling for cover 😂😂. It was over in a few minutes and followed by brilliant sunshine. That continued to be the weather pattern all day - on, off, on, off 😂. Fortunately it's not that cold, maximum of 17 degrees. 




My route headed out of town and into the hills with a long steep climb. I had to push my bike for 3/4 of it. Then I was on top of the hills in farmland with sheep, green rolling hills and views to the ocean.  



I came to the outskirts of the village of Gleno and was admiring a pretty white cottage next to a rushing stream when a man appeared in his yard with his dogs. I called out hello and we had a nice wee chat with his broad accent! He asked where I was headed, recommended the campground I'm at tonight and also a slightly different route with a waterfall.

What a surprise to find a lush forest with ferns and a waterfall. To my amusement, a young guy was wading in for a swim😳. I felt the water and he must be a local 😂




I arrived at the larger town of Larne where ferries for Scotland depart. The route then hugged the coast with a winding road and lovely views.








Carnfunnock country park is quite a large facility with walks through the estate, huge children's entertainment area which caters for day visitors and a small caravan and camping park.  

I set up my tent between showers and then went on a 3km walk up to the lookout for great views.









The weather has rolled in with strong winds and intermittent rain.  

A great first day on the road in the Emerald Isle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maddybenny to Londonderry 🍀 68kms 🚴‍♀️ 5.5km 🚶‍♀️

Some rain overnight and a wet tent to pack up.  Lovely to wander around the farm this morning with ducks and peacocks, friendly farm cat and...