Saturday, June 29, 2024

Skjope πŸ‡²πŸ‡°. Matka Gorge 10kms🚢‍♀️

 This morning I was feeling the effects of missing sleep and so nodded back to sleep after waking early.

The hostel owners recommended visiting Matka Gorge and I could take a guided bus tour for $50-$60 or get there myself for much less.  The less straightforward option provides cost savings that have helped me be on this adventure for longer.  I set off for the local bus stop and waited for bus No. 60 for 45mins. 



I checked with another driver as there are no signs indicating which busses stop at the stop.  To my relief the bus arrived.  I went to pay the driver and he said that his ticket machine was broken and so couldn't sell me a ticket.  He then said not to worry and just get on.  The guy in the first row said he had the same thing happen, whereas many hopped on with day tickets.   So...  Free bus ride✅. 

The bus drops off at the last turn around point for busses as the canyon narrows.  Quite a few tourists on board and so we guessed where to go and walked up the canyon with steep rocky sides and crystal clear rushing water in the river. 




Such a beautiful nearly 2km walk to the dam wall and then the path zig zagged up to a path that has been carved into the rock with a guide rope.  Soon I came to the most beautiful area with platforms for boats and kayaks and some pretty restaurants built out over the water. 





I lined up with many other tourists to buy a ticket for the canyon boat trip including caves.  I got to the counter and found they take cash only (in hindsight I should have guessed) and was about 50c short.  Next minute a man behind me.handed me the missing cash and said in a broad Aussie accent that he would hate me to miss out 😊. He was with a group of 40 from Melbourne whose kids are Hellenic dancers and parents with them on tour 😊. So I paid $12.50 for the trip.  


The canyon tour is so scenic, water clean and clear and the sheer cliffs all around.  I realised that the canyon walk I had done some of actually continues high in the cliffs.




We arrived at caves and walked some steep stairs up to the entrance and down into the caverns 😊






When we arrived back at the dock I continued along the canyon cliff walk for a few kms before turning back.  I waded in the stream on the way back and the water was icy cold and I could only stay in the water a short time.





I arrived at the bus stop and there were some who had been waiting a while.  We waited an hour with no busses.  A taxi driver kept offering a deal saying the busses weren't coming.  We were all out of cash and so said we would wait.  After another half an hour a few of us who had been chatting decided to walk to the next village 5kms away.  So Issham from Morocco, Davide from Italy and I set off along the road.  The road was very busy with cars but no busses!  We met an American couple who joined our group walking to the village. 


We found out that the newly elected President (last weekend elections) was doing a parade through the city and so roads closed and businesses closed early so people could attend!  The bus arrived half an hour later and our little band said goodbye to each other and then discovered two of us staying in the same hostel πŸ˜‚. Bus  ride free.  $12.50 for a fabulous day out✅

Chats with the new hostel ladies in my room and a Macedonian dinner and a pistachio gelati as I sat at the fountain in the square listening to a busker.  A quiet night as I have to leave the hostel at 4.15am to go to the airport (cheapest flights are often at unsociable hours). 





The Hostel Owners are a delightful Turkish couple who make it feel like a family home with hugs and smiles to welcome and farewell, and calling me their friend 😊. So warm to all the guests.

I've only scratched the surface of North Macedonia by visiting the capital and have many recommendations for other places to visit.  The Balkans are interesting, scenic,  with lovely welcoming people and affordable for Aussies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cologne πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ. 15kms 🚴‍♀️

Last night in Cologne for me with the final game for this venue. A fantastic well fought knock out game between Georgia and Spain with Spai...