Thursday, May 16, 2024

Innerleithen - Edinburgh 65kms🚴‍♀️

Coast & Castles day 5 - final day!

What a fab day and such a lesson in not letting a bit of anxiety get in the way of an adventure.  

I woke to blue skies with fog lifting and set off on my journey. First stop to the grocery store for some supplies and then off I went.

This would be one of the best climbs I have done. 21kms of stunning scenery as the road continuously climbed up through a few passes and a series of mountains with two peaks. Fields of sheep and lambs, yellow flowering gorse and views back down the valley.











I chatted with a fit 72yr old man who cycled up next to me on his road bike and wanted to know my story. He loves down the road and cycles the pass 4 times a week to keep fit!


Then caught up to a group who cycle tour once a year together. I rode with them for half hour or so. 









The view from the top to Edinburgh was not clear as the city shrouded in fog but still great views.


Down the other side and 45kms later I checked up the cobbled Royal Mile to Edinburgh Castle! Well, nearly to the top as the crowds obstructed my path. A quick photo and then rode the last 5kms to Marion's house.





Marion and I met in Bavaria im August Last year as a fellow English teaching volunteer. I'll stay with her a couple of days and then head off with some.of her friends for a week of sightseeing in Scotland.


Within half an hour of arriving we were out the door to two separate Pub Quizzes. Marion is a weekly quiz fan and tonight we ended up winning 2nd prize in both quizzes plus I won a prize for being the loudest cheerer (no surprises there 😂) and Marion won a category prize too.







What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...