Monday, April 8, 2024

Watchfield 🇬🇧 - Bristol 🇬🇧🚴‍♀️ 75kms


Day 1 cycle touring and I cycled to the outskirts of Bristol. 












I hadn't given myself enough credit for my fitness as I was a bit nervous as to how I would go as hadn't cycle toured since November.  My cardio is there but some leg, shoulder, neck and back muscles have to remember what to do on a bike!

I really enjoyed today but it was slow going and tough as cyclone Kathleen provided gale force winds (mainly headwinds).  I was done by 50kms and so the last 25kms were a challenge in the relentless winds. 

The route itself was great.  Excellent cycle infrastructure around Swindon and quiet country roads. Some flooding across the roads from the rains. 
A 1km section where the route took me.throigh a boggy field.  I had just ridden down a very steep hill and not keen on pushing my bike back up to find an alternate route and so started pushing.. the water and mud halfway up the wheels at times and to my ankles. 



I stopped in the village of Malmesbury to view the Abbey started by monks in the year 600 and then the Abbey built in the 12th century.  Half was destroyed when the wooden steeple collapsed and they didn't have the funds to rebuild and so bricked up the hole. 



Whilst outside the abbey I met a friendly 80yr old cyclist who had cycles to town to meet a friend who was 'poorly'.  We chatted for about 45 mins as he was so excited to meet a 'real' cyclists as he has done touring over the years.  I asked for a recomme dation for a bakery but they were all closed as it was sunday 😳. He then insisted I have his spare sandwich made from sourdough from his favourite Baker and Glastonbury cheese and local pickles.  What a lovely man








I had reached out to a few 'Warm showers' hosts. (Cyclists who host cyclists) And had one offer me a bed for the night.  Two friendly sisters in their 30's.who hike, but also commute to work by bike and want to meet cycle tourers to learn some tips. A great night of chatting and now bedtime.. I suspect I'll be a little muscle sore tomorrow 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...