Monday, April 29, 2024

Lille 🇫🇷 - Bruges 🇧🇪 77kms🚴‍♀️


Today I cycled north and have crossed the border into Belgium! My 17th country and 6006kms cycled since I left Australia 10 months ago.



I did a little cycle tour around Lille this morning.  It has a fabulous huge town square surrounded by buildings that escaped being bombed in the war.  Most of the town has been rebuilt and so this cobbled centre is treasured.






I visited the famous cafe ‘Meert’, serving filled waffles since the 1600’s.  The wafer thin waffles are filled with a marzipan type of cream.  Very sweet and so kick started my cycle with a sugar rush 😂





The first 15kms out of the town followed dedicated cycle paths.



Once out of town I rode through a rail trail greenway flanked by trees and quite a few out jogging, cycling or walking their dog. 






The last 30 KMs were a bit boring along a main road or railway line through an endless stream of car yards and industrial farm machinery showrooms. 

I was very excited to cross the border into Belgium.  I've wanted to visit since being given the country for a tourism assignment when I was at TAFE night school 23yrs ago!

I'm now in the absolutely gorgeous city of Bruges.  The cobbled stone streets, quaint Flemish architecture and grand Palaces, Town hall, canals are so pretty.  I arrived about 530pm and quickly changed and out to explore. The sun came out which made it even more beautiful.  There are Belgium chocolate shops, waffle shops, lacework wherever you look.  It's relatively car free and many tourists out enjoying a sunny wintery evening.











I treated myself to a very touristy Flemish dinner.  Garlic scampi, Flemish dark beer stew and chips, pear tart and a local Pilsner with a view of the canals.  I may have had a Belgium waffle when I first set off to explore 😊





A big day and I'm in my comfy bed in a very stylish hostel 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...