Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Bruges - Ghent πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺ 55kms 🚴‍♀️

I awoke to sunshine and, according to locals, the best weather all year! 

I had booked to climb the 366 steps to the Belfry in the Market hall in Bruges and I would have to say it's the steepest set of spiral stairs I've ever climbed! Superb views.






Fabulous 800yr history and I love that the 'bell' sound is actually a song, played from a drum and every 2 years they create 4 different tunes for the quarter hours. It sounds beautifully melodic😊. Then the 24 bells chime!


Then, on my bike headed for Ghent. A truly delightful cycle along dedicated tree lined cycle paths along canals. Canal boats, cyclists and joggers out enjoying the day.




After about 10kms I met a lovely inspiring lady called Su. She was on her longest cycle (55kms) on a basic commuter bike. We chatted and cycled into a headwind for about 30kms. She is a Thai lady who studied English in Tasmania years ago (spotted my Aussie flag!) and 10yrs ago moved to Belgium. Her daughter's at Uni in Ghent and so she was cycling to visit them on her day off. We had a little picnic beside the canal 😊


Then I arrived in Ghent! First sight was the castle, right in the middle of town with canal moat.


The centre is all cobbled and so I bumped my way along past gorgeous buildings and spotted the canal boat cruises. I asked the ticket seller if she would be able to look after my panniers if I did a cruise and she said yes! 15 mins later I was cruising along the canals learning the history of Ghent. The 2nd industrialised town in the world behind Manchester for textiles. The canal was hand dug in the 1200's!






After the tour I cycled around the beautiful buildings, dodging the Tramlines and speedy cyclists and a lot of tourists, everyone enjoying the sunshine.





A Belgium waffle beside the canal 😊

Tonight I'm staying with Jan and his family, warm showers hosts. This is an inspirational family who go on long cycle adventures with their children (now 10 & 8yrs). Last year they took 4 months to cycle and camp from Lisbon, Portugal back to Belgium. Great conversation, Jan helped me fix a mechanical too.  



A blessed day 😊

1 comment:

Skjope πŸ‡²πŸ‡°. Matka Gorge 10kms🚢‍♀️

 This morning I was feeling the effects of missing sleep and so nodded back to sleep after waking early. The hostel owners recommended visit...