Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Bristol to North Newton 🇬🇧 75kms🚴‍♀️

I farewelled Bristol today and my route went through the dock area and then straight into green pastures.

I followed a few National cycling routes and many had separate cycle paths which meant 60-70% of today's ride was off regular roads. 





A highlight was the Strawberry lane rail trail which takes you through the Cheddar valley 😊. Very popular with families with kids on school hols this week. 











Then through a series of wetlands areas, green rolling hills, pheasants, squirrels, new lambs and quaint villages.









Unfortunately the severe storm Kathleen was still bringing fierce winds and the occasional shower. The winds were so fierce that I was nearly blown over several times with gusts from the side. The first 25kms were straight into a headwind and I had thought I would go to the sea to have my lunch but they got stronger as I neared. I turned back as it was too difficult. At times I couldn't peddle more than 7-8kms per hour 🙄


So, it took me all day again to ride 75kms. I arrived at the campground/caravan park and had emailed them yesterday to make a reservation. I pulled off the road and had a chunky gravel driveway hill to climb but was not getting off to push 😂. As I came to the reception the husband and wife came out applauding and he said I deserve a bloody medal for keeping on riding. They were not expecting me to turn up 😂. He then came with me to try and find a sheltered place to set up my tent beside an onsite van. The wind so fierce he just turned to me and said he wouldn't sleep tonight knowing that I was out in such weather and to come and set up my airbed and gear in the office. He called his wife, she packed a box up for the morning, grabbed a laptop and put a sign on the door directing enquiries to their mobile home so I didn't have to rush in the morning. What a blessing as I was frozen cold and felt like I had been pummeled all day and the office feels still 😂. They said the weather on the news said there is at least one more day of winds 🙄


So, all sounds dramatic and it was, but doable and I'm warm, dry and out of the weather for the night. #blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...