Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Ault - Abbeville 🇫🇷 47kms 🚴‍♀️

I woke to blue skies and the wind had dropped significantly from yesterday 🎉. It was a long cold night at 2 degrees in my Qld strength, super airy tent. I struggled, as I just couldn't get warm, even wearing most of my clothes to bed! This cold snap in Europe this week has temps at least 10 degrees lower than usual.


 

I headed north and today's fabulous route mostly followed a dedicated cycle path along the coast. At times through farmland, or beside sand dunes, or seaside towns and frequent sections along the oceanfront. Lots of people out enjoying walking or cycling the ocean paths.






I treated myself to a Nutella banana crepe and it was a 10/10 with ocean views to enjoy the deliciousness.


I had my picnic lunch on the clifftops of the mediaeval village of St Valery Sur Somme. Great views of the wide Somme river mouth. I then cycled through a mediaeval stone wall, cobble stones and through the pretty shuttered buildings to the storefront. The main shopping street had colourful bunting and lots of little antique shops, boutiques and cafes and quite a lot of tourists. Further along the street next to the Marina is the steam train station and people were milling around as it was soon to depart.










I heard an Aussie voice say he recognised the flag and O had a great conversation with Yvres and Megan from Geelong travelling with their friend from Paris. Nice to hear the Aussie accent 😊



The last 20kms was along the path beside the River Somme.  




After freezing last night in my tent, I emailed a couple of Warm.showers (cyclists who host cyclists) hosts. I was delighted to receive a yes from a lovely retired couple.who.have done most of their touring on a tandem bike (since 1979).

Abbeville has a beautiful church and old hotel with spring gardens. 





I'm tucked up in my sleeping bag, on a comfy bed in a warm house (built in 1600's and renovated beautifully) and was given a beautiful meal - soup, potato waffles, cheese platter and pear compote! And some.great advice on my cycle route tomorrow.



Fab day on the bike 🚴‍♀️🎉

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...