Friday, March 8, 2024

Odense 🇩🇰

Odense is an easy city to explore. Very walkable and lots of things to catch the eye.


First up this morning I went to the Hans Christian Anderson Hus museum.  This modern exhibit only opened in 2021 and is housed in a beautiful modern, natural timber creative style of building, designed by a Japanese architect.  A headset is worn for the whole ‘show’ and you get to wander through exhibits of his life, animations and storytelling and finish with scenes from his most famous fairytales.  He came from abject poverty, lived as an only child in very cramped conditions in a share house with his loving parents and from that rose a creative imagination.  He was told over and over again by his teacher that he would not amount to anything but told his parents that one day he would be famous.  At 14yrs old he moved to Copenhagen to follow his dream as an actor but had no success and started writing theatre scripts and fairytales.  He had his first works published at 17.  He was honoured in his hometown of Odense in his early 50’s and this brought him great joy.  I think I'll read some of the books again as there are some deep messages that were lost on me as a child.








I visited several churches,






Town Hall


and art galleries



and took a long walk through parklands, admiring sculptures,





to a cycle cafe built in a repurposed old train station.




My hot chocolate there cost more than my supermarket salad for dinner tonight 😂


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...