Tuesday, January 2, 2024

London 🇬🇧 - Prague 🇨🇿

Well, hello 2024 🎉. My watch confirms 2hr 53mins sleep, and so, a little slow when the alarm went off - said good bye to Harley my gorgeous housesit doggy who raised one eyebrow and went back to sleep on my bed.  To the bus stop to the train to Gatwick - half filled with party goers and half with suitcases.  The cheapest flights are usually at the uncomfortable hours 😂



A few hours later I'm in Prague, Czech Republic - new language, new currency and public transport.


I emerged from the underground station at the huge memorial honouring those who died in the school shooting a week ago 😥 

A short walk to my hostel in the Old Town to drop off my pack and then off to explore.


I've been to Prague before for work and had a little sightseeing time too.  I decided to have a cruisy afternoon wandering the markets in the Old town square,




treating myself to a Nutella trdelniks (chimney cake) after watching it being made,


enjoying the buzz of many nationalities and then went to the Jewish area.  

The Jewish area is identifiable by the footpath paving which the Jews were not allowed to cross. 


I visited the graveyard which, as a result, houses over 100,000 bodies,


buried 12 persons deep as well as some Synagogues that are now museums.





Then a wander down to the river side as the sun set and seeing the castle beautifully lit up on the hill on the other side of the river. 




The famous Charles bridge with its medieval towers at each end and then walked up to the castle on the hill for great views and saw the final changing of the guard for the day.





I went to a restaurant near the castle and had a table down in the cellars for my goulash, served in a bread loaf and a glass of the local beer.  Czech has the highest beer consumption in the world, beating Germany by 10%! I chatted with some British girls at the next table for an hour as they had been to Albania in the last few months and avid travellers.  Then to my hostel.  A mixed dorm and have had a great shared travel tips chat with the 3 guys in my dorm tonight - Spanish, Korean and French.  


A long and fabulous day and feeling thankful to continue this adventure into 2024 🎉😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cologne 🇩🇪 - Manchester 🇬🇧 ✈️

 The morning came around quickly and I reset the foldout lounge back into an office, grabbed my gear and the bedding and headed to my friend...