Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Fethiye - Oludeniz 🇹🇷

The last couple of .days have been quite rainy and so, after my kitchen duties, I waited a bit for the rain to settle.  Yesterday I went for a bike ride in the rain around the bay.  I passed a couple of marinas and also ship building and repair yards.  Lots of boats getting maintenance in the off season.  I continued around the coastline through pine forests to a lookout with views back to Fethiye. Then back again in the rain - nearly 20kms and pleasant riding and wet but not cold 😊

Today I caught a few busses and found my way to Oludeniz to see the Blue Lagoon.  The rain was pouring down when I left and I nearly abandoned my plan at the interchange bus station but, so glad that I didn't.  The bus climbs on a road up through forest and down the other side finishing at the beach.  The water colour is an incredible range of blues which I expect is to do with the water depth.  I waited for the rain to settle and walked the length of the beach to see the lagoon.  The whole town is basically shut down for the season and usually there is a cost to enter the lagoon area.  There was hardly anyone about and so I thought I would go for a quick swim as didn't want to miss the bus back to town.  I headed for some bushes to get changed and next minute a big wild boar starts charging at me 😂😂
Decided to look at the blue lagoon from my rear view mirror instead lol. 

Back to the beautiful beach and i walked to the bus stop and found there were 2 more busses and so had time to walk to the other end of the beach and up the road to the lookout.  Stunning views along the beach and apparently the winding road along the coast is beautiful.

Interesting thing was, as soon as we crossed the range on the way back, dark clouds descended and it had been raining all day.  I walked off the bus to adventure number 2.

Soooo when in Turkey, a visit to a Hamman (Turkish bath and massage) seemed like a great idea.
The team at my hotel recommended a Hamman that they send their guests too.  I'll describe my experience 😊
I walked in and was shown to one of the little.changing booths along the wall, lovely relaxing music playing and dimmed lights and a log fire burning at the end of the room. Once I'm in my little room, they come with a menu board of all the different services.  I chose the Traditional experience and a 40 min massage.
I was asked to undress and put on the traditional Turkish hamman wrap.  Well, mine seemed slightly larger than a tea towel and just wasn't going to work 😂. I opened the door and explained my dilemma to the limited English, but helpful attendant.  Just wear it like a bikini I was told.  I explained that a bikini has two parts and so could.i have another piece of cloth.  Managed to cover my bits and out I went and was guided to the sauna room for the next 20 mins. The sauna had a fragrance like mint that cleared the head and was so relaxing. 
Then out for the first clean.
I was asked to lay down on a yoga mat on a marble block and then warm water poured all over me multiple times (was glad I had been to the loo 😂😂). 
Then the deep scrub started - almost every part of me, front and back was scrubbed with a rough glove and then more rinsing with warm water.
Then the soaping started - smooth soap rub and then somehow they made it turn to silky bubbles all over.  Let's just say I am extremely clean 😂. A simple slippery massage and then I moved to a seated area for  more rinsing off with warm water.  It was quite a lovely experience, especially the bubble part.

Then I was assisted out of my wet loin cloths and into a dry larger cloth and a towell over the shoulders and off to the massage room, with a cool drink of water between.
An excellent firm massage as per my request and included a Turkish version of tiger balm on some sore spots
Two hours of a fantastic.traditional Turkish experience 😊
I'm clean, relaxed and oiled up 😂 (including my hair 🙄) and looking forward to a shower in the morning.

A rainy day turned to lots of fun. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...