Sunday, December 3, 2023

Kotor 🇲🇪

My last day in Kotor and Montenegro.  A very blustery day with cyclonic winds.  It was raining earlier also and so I waited for that to stop and ventured out.

I walked around the bay on a lovely footpath or tourist road right on the water. 








The trees swaying, boats bobbing in the water and the sea crashing.  The water is so clear and green and there are little beaches and swimming and diving platforms the whole way along the road.  Would be very popular in summer.  The road has a mix of boutique renovated hotels, tourism apartments, luxury homes, churches and restaurants and small shops. 



After 6kms I took a narrow path of steps back up to the main road with a view to catching the bus back.  Not to be 😂. The bus stops away from a main town are notoriously difficult to spot.  Locals seem to know where to stand but there are absolutely no markings 😂 and no locals standing either.  So a 12km.walk.for me. 

Then a wander through the old town. I love the plaques explaining the age of the buildings. 











Then to the cat area that has been created by Danieja, a humble lady who started feeding cats 30 yrs ago and now feeds, pays for neuturing, worm tablets etc. 





She accepts donations of food at her little cat gift shop.  I had bought a packet of food to drop to her.  I had a chat with this lady in her 60’s who says she couldn't ignore the situation and had to do something.  A guy from a restaurant dropped off some fish scraps.  I sat on a bench near the little kennels she has set up and lots of cats came for cuddles.  Tourists were sitting on benches cuddling and parting the cats.  Win win for everyone. 
Dinner tonight - mussels.  These are a recommended meal when staying in Kotor as the clear sea water and underground freshwater springs make them a delicacy, especially in Buzara sauce. 



Tonight I share my room with a Russian girl, a Chinese guy and a Turkish guy. Not much English all round 😂



So from me, Montenegro is a YES as a recommended destination.  I've loved it.  I had a window of time in the off season, known for its rain and storms, but came anyway.  They say may and June are best before it gets too hot and touristy.  And for those that like to do different things to me, there are day spas, modern shopping centres, fancy restaurants and cafes, boat tours to see caves and snorkelling (seasonal) and day trips to the mountains.  A hire car would give extra flexibility but not necessary as busses service the main towns.

On the bus back to Albania tomorrow to continue my trip there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carnfunnock - Cushenden 🍀 47kms🚴‍♀️ , 5km 🚶‍♀️

 An enjoyable day exploring the Coastal road north of Belfast. Last night strong winds and heavy rain made it a bit hard to sleep, but thank...