Monday, December 4, 2023

Kotor 🇲🇪 to Durres 🇦🇱

My travel map - https://tiffstraveltales.travelmap.net/uk-travel-2023

A travelling day today.  I left Kotor in Montenegro on the 8am bus and arrived into Tirana, Albania international bus depot at 2pm, walked and caught a local bus to the Albania regional bus terminal and then a bus to the coast to Durres.  I arrived around 3.30pm and then walked to the hostel.  Always a little thrill when I manage to research where I can and piece together/wing it with public transport and it comes off.  (Tomorrow's bus info, there's nothing definitive online and so a mystery for tomorrow 😂)





The travelling on busses made all the richer for interesting conversations with Gladys my pink haired Cameroon born, French musician who had many interesting stories, observations and viewpoints.  She had tested living in Montenegro for a year and was now returning to France to pack her gear for a permanent move.  And then Mya the Tasmanian environmentalist with Irish heritage and gorgeous red curly hair and green eyes.  She has been backpacking for 2 years and loves hiking in nature.  


At the border after showing our passports.  Gladys on the left and Myah.


Half way look stop on the bus route. 

Durres is a shipping port for large ferries that go to Italy.  They have catered for that audience with Italian restaurants, coffee shops and gelaterias.  The beachfront is beautiful with a huge promenade with art sculptures, restaurants and full of holiday makers wandering along. 








I came to this town to see the archaeological ruins but it's always challenging at this time of year with sunset at 4.15pm. My first priority was finding the hostel, checking in and dumping my backpack and heading out.  I've had a wander tonight but will look properly in the daylight tomorrow.
















Albania is definitely a poorer country than Montenegro but is doing its best to attract the tourism dollar.  Will be interesting to see more as I continue exploring over the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ballycastle - Maddypenny 🍀 37kms 🚴‍♀️ 10kms 🚶‍♀️

After rain overnight, I woke to sunny skies and views from the campsite to the cliffs at Rathlin island that I visited yesterday, and beyon...