Saturday, December 9, 2023

Birtrint 🇦🇱

A wander along the waterfront to the bus stop




and a half hour ride and I was in another world.  Coming over the hill with views over an incredible wetlands area where the ancient city of Birtrint was built.  The city was built 400BC and has had rulership from Roman, Greek, Byzantine and Venetians and so various forms of architecture are present.







The area has only been initially discovered in the 1920"s but archaeology started in the late 1940's post war.  Some areas only uncovered in 2005 and more work to be done.  Some of the structure is so well preserved.  Since the fortification became damaged over time, the area floods and so had been buried under silt.











After 2.5hrs of exploring I caught the bus back and decided to stop off in a small beach town of Ksamil which I discovered was mostly shut down for the season.  I sat next to the beach enjoying the sun and walked in the 'fresh' ocean. 





On the bus back and watched sunset through the window and walked along the waterfront again.


Such beautiful weather to see the best of this location. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...