Thursday, November 23, 2023

Tirana 🇦🇱

Well Albania has taken me by surprise.  From the sleek and modern airport and freeway to town with modern shops and factories with bright neon lights or fairy lights.



The capital Tirana is a mix of modern stylish sky scrapers and public buildings,




a huge town square with National Museum of history







Palace of culture with opera house and library, Clock tower built in 1800’s (I climbed to the top for the views)





mosque from 1700’s. 





The city has many sculptures and art installations,






beautiful parks and gardens and pedestrian footpaths, fabulous cycle infrastructure, old castle ruins which are now a series of funky restaurants and cafes. 



I also visited the nuclear bunker built in the 80’s next to the Ministry of Internal Affairs with a factual history of the police, gendarmes, communism and it's impacts on the people and then the rebuild following.  This was all displayed underground in the rooms and tunnels. Then to the pyramid art structure (climbed to the top).  







Friendly helpful people everywhere I have been.  I don't think I saw another blonde haired person all day.  Met two different french tourists , a lad from Manchester and an Italian couple.and the hostel has a huge mix of cultures. 


My hostel is quiet and comfortable, with a pet cat who loves pats, and an amazing brekky included in the $23 a night price.  


Dinner at a local Albanian restaurant as recommended by the hostel receptionist.


Albania day 1 and so far it's a yes ✅ from me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...