Friday, November 10, 2023

South Downs National Park 15km hiking adventure today 🇬🇧

After dropping my bike to the mechanics for new brakes and a few minor wear and tear tweaks, I bought a day bus pass and 3 busses later arrived at beautiful Stanmer Park.  Autumn colours and large grassy hills and surrounded by quaint cottages-a beautiful country estate. 




My hike initially headed up a country lane and then at the top of the hill I joined the South Downs way which is a 100 mile off road shared bike, hike and horseriding route. 





I went through woodlands with mostly fallen autumn leaves, open fields with views to the sea in one direction and to the hills in the other. 










The route mostly followed a ridge and so after the initial climb it was only slightly undulating.

Ditching Beacon is the highest point in Sussex (National trust site) and was where a bonfire was always ready to light, to ward off invaders.  The 360 degree view meant the warning could be seen in any direction. Lots of sheep munching ample grass unaware of the beauty around them.











I then followed the South Downs way for 4kms before diverting off, though cow paddocks and horse fields to finish in the village of Lewes, soon after sunset.












Very windy today, although the angle the trees are growing suggests it's windy every day 😂. Fresh air and storms threatening but only a few downpours. 






Great to see so many out hiking, walking dogs and on mountain bikes.  5 busses in total taken today and so I definitely got value from my day pass.  Beautiful part of the world 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...