Sunday, November 12, 2023

Brighton - Lewes 60kms 🇬🇧


A crisp and magnificent sunny day. 4 degrees when I woke and so waited for it to warm up to 7 before heading off for the day.
I rode east along the coast on fabulous cycle paths, with the white cliffs below and views to the ocean which was sparkling in the sunshine. This part was retracing my steps from a previous ride but on the cliff tops to Seaford instead of the lower path.







Then over the hills and down along beautiful wetlands that were brimming with water and lots of Birdlife. 





 I wound my way through villages to the village of Litlington where I had planned to view the chalk Whitehorse on the side of the hill. Turns out it was on the hill opposite the wetlands and I was so enjoying them that I missed it 🙄. Decided against a 7-10km hilly and muddy diversion back to find it. The village itself is quaint with thatched cottages and lots of hikers wandering through.. then up another hill and rounded the bend and there was the chalk 'Long man of Wilmington' on the side of the hill. They really are a thrill to see 😊




More country lanes, gorgeous views, race horse studs and grand rural houses. I came across a fabulous new cycle path before turning towards Lewes. 


 It is a very hilly town with a lovely water inlet and soaring white cliffs. It was the site of a famous battle in 1264 which resulted in the first Parliament sitting. Atop the hill are castle ruins. If I have time I'll catch the bus back up to explore this town properly.







I had tickets for, and had intended on attending the UK Truffle festival but it was getting late, I decided to get the train the rest of the way, only to find out I had just missed the hourly service. Back to Brighton by train instead.  



I heard a guy call out my make and model of bike and came over to chat. He also has one and cycled across USA and Canada solo over 3 months on it. His comment was, it's heavy but solid , comfortable and dependable. We chatted for quite a while which meant I missed my train, but was lovely to chat to a kindred spirit. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...