Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Milano 🇮🇹 day trip

 A weather forecast of thunderstorms and rain and so we all had different ideas on how to spend the day.  I caught the local train to Bergamo and changed to a train to Milan.


The Milano central train station is a spectacular building.




I caught a metro underground train to the Duomo which was close to the meet point for my free walking tour.  The Cathedral is the largest in Italy and inside can fit 40,000 people standing 😳. It has 65 Spires and each one has a biblical figure statue on top of it.

The doors are incredibly ornate.


We started the walking tour just as a huge thunderstorm hit!  Rain was pouring off the Cathedral and flowing ankle deep through the square.


The show must go on and so off we went to see the Galleria - the first enclosed shopping street in Europe and home to many top brand names.  The roof was replaced after WWII as it was bombed.





Then to the Opera House



Great informative tour.  I had the local speciality of a topped focaccia.  Tried potato and zucchini with pesto, followed by a pistachio cannoli.




I wandered the stylish Fashion house streets, the brand names lost on me 🙄



I walked to the castle as I wanted to see Leonardo da vinci's fresco of The Last Supper but unfortunately the museum (and most others) is closed on a Monday.








I caught the train back to Bergamo but a delay meant I missed my local train by one minute.  Found and caught a bus instead and walked in just as dinner was served 😊. Fabulous day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...