Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Day 15 Nevers to Decize 50kms

 Two weeks ago I started cycling across France and what a wonderful journey it's been.  I'm in my rhythm now.

A day usually consists of waking in my tent around 6ish, walking to the toilet/sanitary block to plug in devices for an hour of loitering and keeping an eye of things.  Most people don't stir till after 7.30am.  I then go back to bed for half hour and then deflate airbed and pillow and while the air dissipates, pack away sleeping bag and sleep sheet.  Pack up pillow and airbed.  Choose cycle.clothes for the day (choice of two nick's and 3 tops), get dressed and put all items outside the tent.  Remove pegs and drape tent over bike to remove dew.  Start packing pannier bags.  Make my muesli brekky with sliced banana and find somewhere nice to eat.  Study riding map for the day, points of interest, weather forecast and  research google maps for 3 potential campgrounds depending on how far I end up riding.  Wash up.  Brush teeth and then finish packing bike.  Read messages from family and friends.  Leave campground between 9.30-10.00am, after peak hour traffic.  Cycle for about 20kms and have a stop and a snack, cycle another 20 KMs and eat picnic lunch, have an afternoon cold juice at a cycle cafe somewhere to help those last few KMs roll along (plus explore.points of interest throughout). Decide on which campsite and google grocery stores nearby and cycle there first and buy enough food for dinner, fruit and lunch items for the next day, checkin at campsite.. build tent, airbed, pillow and bedding, select outfit for the evening (choice of two).  Have a shower and handwash cycle clothes!  Build clothesline and hang out clothes.  Set up cooker and make dinner, eat dinner.  Chat with other campers or listen to audiobook.  Go to toilet block and loiter for an hour with devices plugged in, write blog, in bed for 10.30ish - before sunset!! 

This morning started with a couple of thunderstorms so sheltered at the campground amenities with other cyclists and headed off after 11 for the Decathlon store as I wanted to buy a groundsheet for my tent.  (Kinda feel a bit like a local knowing where to buy odds and ends and which grocery shops are good etc.) 


Then back to the city of Nevers to have a cycle wander through the old town.  Went inside the Cathedral which was first built in the 500's but has been rebuilt a number of times for various reasons such as fire etc.  Some parts definitely look older than others and I marvel at the workmanship.  




The stained glass windows were replaced with modern ones recently in the mid 1980's.




Then to the beautiful Palace and a photo or two before heading on our way.



This hay bale truck was wedged due to some roadwork redirection aimed at cars not trucks!


Today mainly followed canals and there were a lot more canal boats in this section than previously.  Families, singles and couples relaxing on a super slow holiday punting down a canal.. some stopped fishing or sunbaking on the deck.




It was another mid thirties day and stays that hot till about 8pm.when it gradually starts cooling down.  We were baking and found a cycle cafe and got an ice cold drink late afternoon.



A relaxed campsite on the river.  I was so hot U went in for a swim in my Aussie cycle kit 😂. 




On the way back to my tent a kiwi couple called out a hello.  They are 6 weeks into a 9 week ebike cycle around France.  Had a great chat and then showered and made dinner.  Tonight a jar of ravioli and a salad, followed by yoghurt.  



Hoping to be able to upload photos in the next few days when I  will stay at accommodation somewhere and can get some solid wifi.  The start oft 3rd week in France was grand.

9 comments:

  1. Loved hearing the more detailed routine. Sounds wonderful and relaxing (in an each day is more exercise than I do in a week kind of way!). ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny girl Yvonne.. I have a routine now where I know what's on each.pannier bag which makes it quicker at stops. It's also important to have the panniers relatively evenly balanced so you aren't battling the bike on corners and when you stop.

      Delete
    2. Laughing at the thought of how many pannier bags I’d need seeing as I travel so light. 😂

      Delete
    3. Well yes, you may just need one of those trailers that some.peoole.have, with another trailer behind it 😂😂

      Delete
  2. You've got your stride, Tiff! I'm sure we can lend you a change of cycle top if you are bored with your current ones by the time we meet up in a smidge over one month. or is you want to swap anything out, let your boys know and i can bring a freshy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea actually. I'll have a think on a swap out option 😊

      Delete
  3. That was my comment above, Tiff - Mary F - I wasn't logged in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to narrow it down to you, Wendy or Carolyn 😂

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the rundown of your day Tiff, you’ve certainly found your groove.

    ReplyDelete

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...