Sunday, May 26, 2024

Taynuit - Edinburgh 🇬🇧 - Cologne 🇩🇪

My Western Scottish trip finished today. What a beautiful, rugged part of the world.

We were up and.ready early as usual and one of the lovely guys dropped me at the airport with a stop off to have a closer look at the huge metal sculptures, "The Kelpies" which I had seen from the car when passing by on the motorway a week before. They are so impressive and the carpark was full with tourists and locals.




Then to the airport for my flight to Cologne. First time with Eurowings and it was a seamless experience.


I sat next to a lovely German lady and we chatted for much of the flight. I was the only passenger in the 'other passports' queue and so out quickly, managed to find the train and work out how to buy a ticket, the right platform and then get off and back in Europe with foreign language and currency. Soooo much more affordable than the UK!

I spent a couple of hours walking the inner city starting with the Cathedral which is directly outside the train station. Mass was being conducted and so I could only look at a part of it, but will try and go back another time. They have photos of the damage done during the war and then the rebuild program for the church. It is right next to buildings built from the 1950's onwards.







The contrast between new and old right next to each other seems strange to look at, but common with many German towns.






I grabbed a Currywurst for dinner and then navigated the underground to get to my billet host. A casual evening watching a German soccer final .







A big day 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shanghai - Sydney - Brisbane 🇦🇺

 As I land ‘home’ to Brisbane (with a plane load of Olympians), 53 hrs after boarding my bus in Paris 11.30pm Sunday night, I'm wonderin...